Hypnotherapy

Hypnotherapy Mind Body Connection KittOMalley.com

Last Friday, I drove my son down to La Jolla (across the street from UC San Diego!) to see pediatric hypnotherapist and pulmonologist, Dr. Ran D. Anbar, MD, FAAP of Center Point Medicine. My son struggles with migraines (greatly improved with recent medication regime), depression, anxiety, eczema, and frequent school absences due to illnesses.

According to Dr. Anbar’s brochure:

Children who use hypnosis:

• Become empowered to help themselves when they feel poorly, and are proud of themselves for being able to do so.
  • Feel better about themselves and their medical condition because they can help take control of how they feel.
  • Become aware of their inner strength that allows them to cope more effectively with all aspects of their lives.

My mother used hypnotherapy to help her battle non-Hodgkins lymphoma (along with chemotherapy and monoclonal antibody therapy). Hypnotherapy enabled her to feel more in control, and lessened her pain and anxiety. My father quit smoking using hypnotherapy. I’ve used self-hypnosis (all hypnosis is self-hypnosis) to perform well on exams (I studied, too).

Hoping that self-hypnosis will give my son a tool, an effective coping mechanism, not just for somatic illnesses that respond well to hypnosis, but for life. Somatic illnesses are not “just” in the mind. The mind and the body are connected.

Prayer, meditation and self-hypnosis all help body, mind, and soul.

18 thoughts on “Hypnotherapy

1. Tertia October 26, 2017 / 2:09 pm

I’m glad you have these resources and wish more families did. My daughter and I get so many recommendations for treatments that are completely financially unattainable for us. I hope he gets some relief from it. I continue to be blown away by the similarities between him and my daughter…I think I’ve said it before, but if he ever wants a pen pal let us know:)

• Kitt O'Malley October 26, 2017 / 2:43 pm

Terrible how not everyone has access to the same resources.

My son is shy. Does your daughter play any video games?

2. Faith October 25, 2017 / 10:28 pm

I really hope this helps your son, I know the feeling of wanting to help them overcome their problems only too well.
    Unfortunately it didn’t work for my sons panic attacks, but I guess it all depends on the people involved.
    I am also trying something new and very alternative with my son to help him with his alcohol addiction. It is also supposed to help him with his anxiety. It is definitely doing something to calm him, early days yet but looking positive. If it does work I will be shouting about it from the rooftops.
    Wishing you both well.

• Kitt O'Malley October 26, 2017 / 12:20 pm

Sorry to hear that it didn’t help with his panic attacks and anxiety. Hope and pray what you are trying now for your son’s alcohol addiction works. My parents are alcoholics, so I know how hard it is to love someone with that addiction. Luckily, in memory care, they cannot drink alcohol.

3. Cassandra Stout October 25, 2017 / 5:45 pm

Best of luck using hypnotherapy to give your son some relief! I’m glad you’ve had positive experiences so far.

4. dyane October 25, 2017 / 3:49 pm

I’m praying that hypnotherapy will help your son a great deal.

You’re a wonderful mom to bring him to this doctor. By the way, I”m thrilled your son’s migraines have improved with the recent medication.

That’s also incredible self-hypnosis helped your mom, dad and you – this is something I’ll now seriously consider for my girls. Thanks so much, my friend!

• Kitt O'Malley October 26, 2017 / 12:15 pm

Hard to find a hypnotherapist who is primarily a licensed psychotherapist, nurse practitioner, or medical doctor. Most get credentials via training from hypnotherapy professional associations. I prefer someone with university education in health and mental health.

5. vanbytheriver October 25, 2017 / 3:03 pm

I hope it provides some relief for him (and for his mom). I tried talking someone into hypnotherapy for migraines. They were not believers in “alternative therapy”, acupuncture, etc. and were unwilling to try. Too bad.

• Kitt O'Malley October 26, 2017 / 12:13 pm

Hard to convince someone, and honestly, most hypnotherapists lack university education in medicine, health, or mental health. In US, many receive hypnotherapy credentials only. I prefer seeing someone with advanced education. I’m biased that way. What if someone regresses and relives sexual abuse? What if someone needs to see a medical doctor? The practitioner must have skills and knowledge on how to deal with someone experiencing trauma and know to refer someone to medical or mental health care professionals. That’s what I like about the guy my son saw. He’s a pediatrician, and advocates integrating hypnosis into primary care. Cool! Tomorrow my son sees a nurse practitioner for hypnosis in the doctor’s group practice.

6. bpnurse October 25, 2017 / 2:54 pm

I used hypnosis in childbirth. It worked to the point that I went all the way through labor without so much as a Tylenol for pain. It was a marvelous experience.

7. Mark Lanesbury October 25, 2017 / 1:39 pm

Well said Kitt. Little do people realise the many coping strategies we all have in place to help us live.
    And by facing those things takes great courage and it becomes so much easier to go through life and finally find that love within us all ❤