Liver Panel Lab Results

Anxiously Waiting to discuss liver panel lab results with docs

So, back in November both my internist and my psychiatrist wrote out lab requests for me to fill. Put it off until January because I was nervous as to what the results might be.

Metabolic panel showed high triglycerides. I fasted, but forgot not to take my fish oil that morning. I currently take atorvastatin (LIPITOR®) for high cholesterol and high triglycerides which I had been unsuccessful at controlling using diet and exercise alone. Unfortunately, atorvastatin is hard on the liver…

Liver panel showed high potassium and high albumin/globulin (A/G) ratio which may indicate liver or kidney problems. I take two medications which can damage the liver and kidneys: atorvastatin and divalproex sodium (Depakote®) — the antiseizure medication I take as a mood stabilizer for bipolar disorder.

Thursday my psychologist, who works with my psychiatrist, cautioned me against catastrophizing, reminding me that there were solutions (reducing dose, changing medications, etc.).

Next week I have an appointment with my psychiatrist, and I plan to see my internist. The easiest solution is to go off atorvastatin and see a nutritionist to improve my metabolic blood chemistry.

Time to lower my bad (LDL) cholesterol and triglycerides using diet and exercise. Wish me luck.

34 thoughts on “Liver Panel Lab Results

1. BipolarOnFire January 29, 2018 / 10:44 am

I wish you all the luck in the world. Diet and exercise are hard!! But you can do it, you are made of strong stuff.

• Kitt O'Malley January 30, 2018 / 10:22 pm

At least I’ve started tracking the food I’m eating. Dyane and I are supporting each other on LoseIt! My husband has started tracking, too.

2. Annah Elizabeth January 28, 2018 / 6:33 am

Sorry for these recent setbacks, Kitt, but happy you have such a good support system! Keep doing what you’re doing; you can do this!! Sending love, light, and healing energy as you wait to discuss the results with your doctors, and beyond.

3. marthagw January 28, 2018 / 1:37 am

I take Atorvistatin too. Sorry to hear it can be harmful. Here’s hoping your health team works with you on a solution. Optimism is the way to go. 😊

• Kitt O'Malley January 28, 2018 / 4:07 pm

Luckily I see both my internist and psychiatrist regularly. We’ll tweak doses or meds, and I can try to control my cholesterol and triglycerides with diet, weight loss, and exercise.

4. mihrank January 27, 2018 / 11:47 pm

We are with you and in our prayers…Miracle will always happen…

• Kitt O'Malley January 28, 2018 / 4:06 pm

Thanks. Plus, I can eat better, lose weight, exercise more, and stop taking the statin.

5. dyane January 27, 2018 / 5:51 pm

Thinking good, good, good thoughts for you, my dear friend, and of course I’ll be encouraging you about having a healthy diet & keeping up with exercise just like you’ve been encouraging me via Lose It! You’re a great motivational partner—I know you’re going to reach your goals this year. XOXOXOXOXOXX

6. Cassandra Stout January 27, 2018 / 4:31 pm

Best of luck, Kitt! It’s scary waiting for results, but I’m positive that the docs will have solutions for you. I hope that everything turns out well.

• Kitt O'Malley January 27, 2018 / 6:11 pm

Thanks! I have the numbers, but need to discuss how to get them back where they should be.

7. Bipolar1Blog January 27, 2018 / 4:17 pm

Wishing you the best of luck Kitt! My triglycerides are huh, but I can’t rake statins at all, so I try to have a very healthy diet. You can do this. Flax, Isphagol, and even oatmeal really help. Don’t worry, you’ve got this! Much love.

8. Mark Lanesbury January 27, 2018 / 1:39 pm

You can do it Kitt…you’ve already begun, that exercise followed by a nice bath will heal anything 😀

• Kitt O'Malley January 27, 2018 / 6:10 pm

Thanks! I wish exercise and hot baths healed everything. They do help with quite a lot, though.

• Mark Lanesbury January 27, 2018 / 11:26 pm

Most certainly a step in the right direction. A leg up if you will, on life’s ladder to the stars 😀 ❤