Low Carb Low Fat Diet

Forbidden Foods

Saw my internist today. Here’s my new diet regimen to lower my triglycerides: 100 gram carbohydrates per day, 60 grams fat day, no more than 5 nuts (preferrably walnuts), no olive oil (save 1 tablespoon to pan fry), no coconut oil, no cheese, no red meat, no pasta, no rice, and no bread.

Wish me luck! I’ve already been using the LoseIt! app to track what I eat for weight loss along with fellow mental health blogger Dyane Harwood and my husband.

There’s a good reason doctors want to meet with you to discuss lab results. See, when you download them yourself, you may misread the results, like I did. I got all worried for nothing. My internist said that my liver panel was fine.

She suspected lab error for my high potassium level.

Often a report of high blood potassium isn’t true hyperkalemia. Instead, it may be caused by the rupture of blood cells in the blood sample during or shortly after the blood draw. The ruptured cells leak their potassium into the sample. This falsely raises the amount of potassium in the blood sample, even though the potassium level in your body is actually normal.

– Mayo Clinic

As my total protein, albumin, and globulin levels were all normal and my albumin/globulin ratio was just above normal, I have no reason for concern. I can keep taking divaproex sodium (Depakote) for bipolar disorder and atorvastatin (Lipitor) for high cholesterol.

The lab sent my internist the liver panel prescribed by my psychiatrist, not the metabolic panel she requested. She relied on my (exaggerated and anxious) self report of high triglycerides (and my charted clinical history of high triglycerides).

Unfortunately, I didn’t remember what the actual triglyceride number was. If I had read the results more closely, rather than catastrophizing, I would have noticed that my triglycerides are just above normal. (I faxed my internist the lab results once I got home.)

Anyway, as high triglycerides are bad news, she prescribed fenofibrate, a medication to lower my triglycerides, and a strict low fat low carb diet. Taking a medication is easy. Keeping to a highly restrictive diet is not.

Triglycerides are a type of fat found in your blood. Too much of this type of fat may raise the risk of coronary artery disease, especially in women.

MedlinePlus

Both my mother and my maternal grandmother suffered from strokes. My mother’s stroke resulted in vascular dementia and loss of language (severe damage to the left hemisphere of her brain).

My father now has a fatty liver and dementia, as a result of heavy alcohol consumption. Fatty liver can also be the result of high triglycerides. Got to take care of my heart and my liver. Got to take care of my body and my brain.

28 thoughts on “Low Carb Low Fat Diet

1. kbailey374 February 5, 2018 / 9:05 am

That’s basically what I’m supposed to be on. Note the word “supposed to be,” lol. Ok it’s not really funny.

• Kitt O'Malley February 5, 2018 / 10:32 pm

Using the LoseIt! app helps. I subscribed to premium service ($49/year), so I could track carbs and fat. Dyane Harwood started the Bipolar Battlers! group on the app. Consider joining us. I started using the free version until my internist gave me specific limits for fats and carbs each day.

2. dyane February 4, 2018 / 7:39 am

Just want to add that I watched a documentary on Netflix last night called “What the Health” – I had heard of it before since one of the producers live in Santa Cruz, but I didn’t think to watch it then. For some reason, I did last night. it was hard to watch this doc, and I took breaks, but it will change the way you regard meat and dairy products and help you move away from them to healthier, cruelty-free options.

3. BipolarOnFire February 3, 2018 / 12:00 pm

Oh my, Kitt!! This is a tall order!! I know you can do it but it’s going to be tough. Good luck, friend!

• Kitt O'Malley February 4, 2018 / 1:59 pm

It is tough! My breakfast of Cheerios with 1% milk and sugar in my two cups of coffee added up to 72.5g of carbs! We ran out of 1/2 & 1/2. Think I’ll have to switch to tea, which I can tolerate without sugar or cream. Black coffee is not to my taste.

• Kitt O'Malley February 5, 2018 / 10:27 pm

Had it this morning. I think I can develop a taste for it. Trick is to start with good coffee.

• Karen Brockhage February 6, 2018 / 12:24 pm

We started making cold brew, which is much smoother to drink. I can take it black, but usually add a little unsweetened almond milk, which is low carb and minimal fat if you just use a couple tablespoons.

• Kitt O'Malley February 6, 2018 / 2:49 pm

Since my husband doesn’t even like coffee, we’re planning on switching to green tea.

4. Cassandra Stout February 2, 2018 / 10:19 pm

Oh, Kitt! This sounds so difficult. I wouldn’t be able to follow that diet. Good luck with it, and I’ll be keeping you in my prayers.

5. flawedkin February 2, 2018 / 9:53 pm

Kitt, this sounds really difficult. I am really proud of you! I am not nearly as disciplined.

• Kitt O'Malley February 3, 2018 / 10:49 am

Tracking should make it easier. I’m definitely limited on what I can eat!

6. Jonno February 2, 2018 / 9:20 pm

Interesting post Kitt. It’s so important to be aware of what you eat and what it’s effect is on your body. Hopefully you’ve got all the information now to keep super healthy.

7. davidprosser February 2, 2018 / 5:44 pm

At least you didn’t mention potatoes. If you’d added those to the bread I’d have called it a starvation diet though I do try to use sweet potatoes these days which should be OK.
    Very best of luck Kitt.
    Huge Hugs

• Kitt O'Malley February 2, 2018 / 7:26 pm

I think she may have forgotten to mention potatoes. I do have some Yukon Gold potatoes, which have a lower glycemic index than Russet Burbank potatoes.

NOT ALL CARBOHYDRATE FOODS ARE EQUAL

The Glycemic Index (GI) is a relative ranking of carbohydrate in foods according to how they affect blood glucose levels.

Carbohydrates with a low GI value (55 or less) are more slowly digested, absorbed and metabolised and cause a lower and slower rise in blood glucose and, therefore insulin levels.

• Karen Brockhage February 6, 2018 / 12:27 pm

Have you read about resistant starch? I was surprised to learn that eating things like pasta, potatoes, and rice cooked then chilled changes how we metabolize them, in a good way.

8. dyane February 2, 2018 / 4:36 pm

Thanks for the shout-out, Kitt!

I applaud you for taking care of yourself and meeting with doctors and hearing the sobering facts, instead of doing what most people do which is to bury their heads in the proverbial sand.

You were SO right when you stated “Taking a medication is easy. Keeping to a highly restrictive diet is not.” It’s not, but you have excellent reasons for doing so, and that can make a profound difference in sticking with it.

You have me to encourage you on Lose It! and as of today, you also have Bipolar on Fire, our new Bipolar Battlers partner!

I’m eating a very similar-sounding diet with the one exception of nuts (I eat almond butter) – I’ve been on it almost 2 months now. (Much longer for the cheese- no cheese since 2013 due to the MAOI)

It gets easier to look away from the breads, the pastas, the cheeses, etc. although if I was in a room where bread was baking, I’d run away, LOL!

And today at Costco they are so mean – they deliberately bake brownies so you can smell them and want to but them. I hate them! But other than that, it gets better. I’m here for you and I love you!

• Kitt O'Malley February 2, 2018 / 7:20 pm

Thanks! Checking out Bipolar Battlers on LoseIt! to connect with Bipolar on Fire. Just realized that I haven’t been alive in the Bipolar Battlers! LoseIt! group. Left a few messages, including a duplicate (oops).

9. Mark Lanesbury February 2, 2018 / 4:14 pm

Us humans always think the worst…I think it is a thought deficiency…I wonder how we fix that? Probably on a diet of good thoughts 😀
    Good luck Kitt, may your diet still be full of goodies 😀

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w