How Many Books Am I Writing?

How Many Books Am I Writing?

So, up to last September, I copied and pasted blog posts into Scrivener with the intention of publishing them as a book. My old posts get lost in my archives. As I’ve mentioned before, Scrivener is a challenging writing software program, even for this lover of technology.

The brief introductory overview of my mental health journey is growing into a full blown memoir. Those old posts just can’t wait for me to write a full blown memoir. They want to get printed in ebook and paperback form now. They insist that I can work on the memoir once my mind is clear of them.

Though I have ancient history creating marketing collateral, websites, and newsletters, I have never formatted a book. Not only that, but for all its hype, I’m not loving Scrivener. I organized my posts and downloaded a draft ebook today to see what it looked like. Not horrible, but not what I want… At this point, I need to learn how to reformat the book.

Do I get those posts off my back and into print form? Do I focus on writing the memoir? I know that I can do both… but… I have to pace myself, prioritize my time, and focus my energy.

Wish me luck.

18 thoughts on “How Many Books Am I Writing?

1. excellingspecialneeds March 17, 2018 / 5:10 pm

Best of luck. I’m not savvy technologically, so I can imagine your pain. I had a kids book for over 3 years. I tried to publish on Amazon and I did but I wish I could have fine tuned some details. Can’t wait to read your book.

• Kitt O'Malley March 17, 2018 / 11:43 pm

Congratulations on publishing a children’s book! If you wanted to, you could still fine tune and republish. Thanks for your support!

2. mihrank March 17, 2018 / 11:59 am

Keep up on your hard work – I always mentioned in the past, you should create a unique memoir….

3. Cassandra Stout March 17, 2018 / 9:16 am

Good luck, Kitt! If I were you, I’d work on the memoir. Your blog posts aren’t going anywhere.

4. dyane March 16, 2018 / 4:43 pm

I’m not familiar with Scrivener. I wrote my book using Word. Before I turned my MS into the editor, I used an amazing tool called ProWriting Aid to try out on “Birth of a New Brain.” It was only $40 for a year’s membership. (I was lucky to have a special rate due to a “Beyond Your Blog” promotion.) Here’s the link just in case anyone wants to check it out:

It sounds like you have a lot on your plate. To avoid overwhelm, I’d focus exclusively on completing the memoir draft so you meet your deadline for the conference. I know you can get everything done and you will.

• Kitt O'Malley March 16, 2018 / 11:07 pm

I don’t have to have the memoir completed for the conference. Self-imposed deadline. Makes sense to focus, though.

5. susurrus March 16, 2018 / 2:23 pm

Good luck! I saw someone recommending Vellum for making ebooks (for Mac users). It sounded like you could export from Scrivener then use Vellum. I’ve never heard of it before (or made an ebook) but if you use a Mac it might be worth checking out.

• Kitt O'Malley March 16, 2018 / 2:57 pm

I use a PC. I just bought Scrivener for Dummies. Problem is that I did the tutorial in September, and have forgotten what I learned. Found Scrivener helpful for organizing my work. Now I must figure out how to format it for publication.

6. Viv@Grief Happens March 16, 2018 / 2:00 pm

That’s exciting! I can’t wait to see what you decide on. I’ve heard similar reviews of Scrivener, though of course there are plenty who love it. Good luck as you move forward on this project!

• Kitt O'Malley March 16, 2018 / 2:56 pm

It’s great for organizing writing. Just have to relearn how to use it to format my work.

7. Bradley March 16, 2018 / 2:00 pm

I hear so many people who aren’t happy with Scrivener while I love it. No matter which program you choose, I anxiously await your book.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w