Jazz and Grief

Listening to jazz as I grieve

Yesterday I took my mom out for a late lunch at a local diner. She enjoyed the outing. She likes going out of her memory care community with me.

Before I visited my mom, I saw my psychologist who suggested I do less and allow myself to grieve. I’ve been too defended, using busyness to keep my feelings at bay.

Today I listen to straight ahead jazz in memory of my father. He passed on his passion for jazz to me. Listening, I allow myself to cry. I miss sharing this love of jazz music with my dad. He lives on in so many ways. He lives on in my love for jazz, true American classical music.

Tomorrow we will remember my dad in a small get-together of close family. We will listen to jazz, as we share photos and memories of him.

My parents had requested that we keep their memorials small, inviting only close family members. We are honoring that request. Fits our emotional needs, too. We can only handle so much right now.

15 thoughts on “Jazz and Grief

• Kitt O'Malley May 10, 2018 / 2:18 pm

Thanks. Grieving right now. May visit when I’m up for it.

• Kitt O'Malley May 10, 2018 / 2:26 pm

Went ahead and filled out your contact page with a brief explanation of what motivated me to start my blog. Thanks.

1. Paladin May 6, 2018 / 9:11 am

The comment from “A Second Journey” seems like wisdom from a prophet. Hope you had a good memorial service for your father, Kitt.

2. A Second Journey May 6, 2018 / 4:47 am

I think of my father frequently, daily, and it’s been 4+ years. My music trigger is big band; always reminds me of him. I’m glad you had some time with your mother. The crying is cathartic; let it flow.

• Kitt O'Malley May 6, 2018 / 3:49 pm

My father loved big band, too. We went to see Count Basie together. Yes, I’m that old.

3. bpnurse May 5, 2018 / 11:07 am

Many hugs and prayers for you and your family. I know how hard this is as I lost both parents long ago. Thinking of you. xoxo

4. Cassandra Stout May 4, 2018 / 3:28 pm

I hope that you’re able to always keep your dad in your memories. Grief is a long process. I hope that you’re given the time you need.

• Kitt O'Malley May 4, 2018 / 11:57 pm

Thanks. I’m on disability for bipolar disorder, so I do with my time what best serves my mental health.

5. dyane May 4, 2018 / 12:59 pm

You have a wise psychologist, Kitt. I’m so glad you were able to get out with your mom & that she enjoyed it.

I’m also glad you’re letting your grief out, crying. It’s awful when sorrow is trapped.

Having a small family gathering honoring your father (and his favorite music) sounds ideal.
    It speaks well of your parents they didn’t require large, overwhelming memorials.

I’ll be thinking of all of you……
    lots of love,
    Dy

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )