If the National Suicide Hotline puts you on hold, where else can you call?

Just updated my Mental Health Resources page, incorporating these crisis lines. Thank you, Hufsa Ahmad, for this excellent list of crisis hotlines.

National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 1-800-273-8255 www.suicidepreventionlifeline.org

Crisis Lines

Hufsa Ahmad

In light of Anthony Bourdain and Kate Spades’ suicides, both discussion of suicide and calls to suicide hotlines have peaked. I have heard some people share that when they call the National Suicide Hotline (800-273-8255), they  are put on hold. If you do not want to wait, there are alternate suicide hotline numbers that are local/state-wide or population-specific that can be more accessible since they are targeted to a smaller population.

For example, for people who are local to Southern California, an alternate suicide hotline number that is more accessible is Didi Hirsch’s Suicide Hotline: (877) 727-4747. It’s specifically to serve Los Angeles, Orange, Ventura, San Bernardino, Riverside and Imperial Counties, which is why it’s less in demand. Their counselors are very well trained and they spend a good amount of time with you. I have received training from Didi Hirsch and am very familiar with this organization so I…

View original post 257 more words

9 thoughts on “If the National Suicide Hotline puts you on hold, where else can you call?

1. dyane June 11, 2018 / 11:37 am

Thanks, Kitt – I retweeted this immediately, of course….love you!!!!!!!💓🌹🍀

• Kitt O'Malley June 11, 2018 / 11:45 am

Thank you. Updated my resources page. Love you, too. Just read that Cassandra Stout lost her sister to suicide yesterday. Heartbroken.

2. Cassandra Stout June 11, 2018 / 10:32 am

My sister’s friend just committed suicide yesterday. This is a timely and useful post. Thanks for reblogging it, Kitt.

• Kitt O'Malley June 11, 2018 / 11:44 am

I am so sorry, Cassandra. My heart goes out to you and your family. I cannot imagine the heartbreak of losing your sister to depression.

• Cassandra Stout June 11, 2018 / 4:18 pm

It wasn’t my sister, but my sister’s friend. My sister is severely depressed, however, so we’re keeping an eye on them. Thanks for your support.

• Kitt O'Malley June 12, 2018 / 12:28 pm

I’m so out of it nowadays. I didn’t carefully read your original comment. I wish your sister the best in recovering from her depression. You are wise to keep an eye on her.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )