Irritable. Hypomanic. Parenting Fail.

Fighting Hypomania. Parenting Fail.

Fighting Hypomania

Irritable. Hypomanic. Overwhelmed?

Unfortunately, social stimulation triggers and worsens hypomanic symptoms in me.

Upcoming events that may overstimulate me:

Parenting Fail

Frustrated with my newly adult 18-year old son who struggles with social anxiety and migraines. Though highly intelligent, he has not completed high school, nor has he taken scheduled high school equivalency tests.

Anxiety. Migraines. Reschedule. Repeat.

Yesterday, he did not go to his scheduled cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) evaluation. The CBT psychologist told me that we must make structured household changes in which we design and implement consequences. As is, he lacks motivation to change.

Self Care

After drafting this post, I went to the pharmacy to fill my clonazepam prescription. I rarely take clonazepam, a benzodiazepine, for it’s a potentially addictive controlled substance. But, today I need it.

Treated myself to chicken enchiladas mole for lunch. I love Olamendi’s mole sauce. Chocolate and spices in the over 50-ingredient sauce help. Magic.

Now, I chill out.

24 thoughts on “Irritable. Hypomanic. Parenting Fail.

1. Jaymie Ellen November 13, 2018 / 9:35 am

Try not to be too hard on yourself. You’re not alone. Thank you for sharing and being transparent. ♡

2. Joseph Messer October 3, 2018 / 3:17 am

As a bipolar man, it is nice to have found this blog. I’m,looking to get more involved in the exposure of this disease to so called normal people.

Everyone have a great day, or even an hour or two.

Joseph

3. Think on It August 31, 2018 / 11:40 am

I have bipolar disorder and two children under 6 years old. I’m always concerned about their future emotional and mental health. I’d love to read about your journey as your son grew and developed anxiety and what you are doing. Thanks for writing this post.

• Kitt O'Malley September 4, 2018 / 11:47 am

Luckily, I’ve always been responsible when it comes to getting treatment for both myself and my son. That helps, tremendously.

Both sides of our families have anxiety, mood disorders, alcoholism and migraines. Strong genetic component.

Helps to be compassionate — to yourself and to your children. Having insight helps, too. Love is key.

You can be a living mom while living with bipolar. I write of my failures perhaps more than I do of my parenting successes.

My son is a caring and thoughtful young man. His brain is still maturing. I first took him to a child psychologist when he was four and to a child psychiatrist when he was five. When I worked as a psychotherapist, I worked with children and adolescents. There is hope. Treatment helps.

I wish you the best.

• Kitt O'Malley August 22, 2018 / 10:32 pm

Luckily, I rarely have to use it. Usually only when I’ve had caffeine after noon. The Calm app helps me sleep. When my thoughts get in the way of sleep, listening to a Calm app Sleep Story distracts my monkey mind.

4. carolinecook2015 August 2, 2018 / 7:10 pm

Your post is great. Stay strong. So sorry to hear about the loss of your dad. I am glad you are working with your son. It takes time to move forward. Sending you my thoughts and prayers. Stay strong. Keep talking and writing. This is Caroline

5. Paladin July 30, 2018 / 9:09 am

My wife uses Nesquik chocolate powder when she prepares a bowl of oatmeal for her 95 year old mother. In October 2016, I came to Orange County to participate in the NAMI Walks fundraiser with a stigma busting team. The 5K walk was scheduled to start at 10 am and it was extremely hot. Decided to stay in the shady Pavilion and look after the pet dogs of other team members rather than participate in the walk. Brought along a small sandwich bag of Brookside dark chocolate acai blueberries. It was best to eat them before they melted from the heat. The dogs liked them as well. Was unaware dogs knew chocolate was an antioxidant.

Seems like you are dealing with some serious issues at the moment, but wish you the best being able to stay focused for the IBPF meeting tomorrow. You are such a powerful bipolar mental health advocate on the panel.

🙏 Have a Great Day !!!

6. BipolarOnFire July 29, 2018 / 7:21 am

Sorry it’s so rough right now, Kitt. My good thoughts are with you. Take good care of yourself, friend. ❤️❤️

7. dyane July 27, 2018 / 5:38 pm

I shared with you on Twitter my thoughts. I’m really glad you went to the pharmacy!!

You’re doing the best you can, especially in light of the very recent & enormous loss of your father.

The word “fail” never, never comes to my mind about you and anything you do or don’t do.

I love you, Kitt.

8. Cassandra Stout July 27, 2018 / 4:10 pm

It’s probably a result of the hypomania, but I think your short, clipped sentences in this post really explain your mental state. Nicely done, though I hope you can return to stability soon.

• Kitt O'Malley July 27, 2018 / 8:55 pm

Thank you, Cassandra. I will recover. Hopefully, I can pull off the eke day and next Tuesday.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )