Our Beloved Dog Thumper Passed Away

Our beloved labradoole Thumper as a puppy and full grown.

Our grief deepens with another loss. This time of our beloved labradoodle Thumper. Our newly adult son grew up with him. We got Thumper when our son was six. Thumper would’ve been twelve this month.

Unfortunately, our younger poodle Coco is showing similar symptoms. Our next door neighbor said she found eight dead rats in her backyard. Apparently, someone is poisoning rodents. Not good.

We back up to a hillside filled with rabbits and rats. Predatory animals, including mountain lions, coyotes, pet dogs and domestic cats, eat poisoned rodents and die.

Trap rodents. Don’t poison them.

29 thoughts on “Our Beloved Dog Thumper Passed Away

  1. BipolarOnFire September 9, 2018 / 4:41 am

    Oh Kitt, I am so so sorry you have suffered another loss!! It must seem like you’re being hit from all sides!! Gosh your son’s childhood pet…the whole family must be hurting – again. I am really going to be praying for you all and keeping you in my heart. I wish I could do more. I send you all love and condolences.

    Liked by 2 people

  2. Christine September 9, 2018 / 3:15 am

    Hi kitt so sorry to hear your dear dog has sadly passed away. It’s hard to deal with when you’ve lost family members too sending massive hugs and keep smiling even though it’s hard right now x

    Liked by 2 people

  3. Liz September 9, 2018 / 12:33 am

    I feel the same as everyone else and I send my deepest sympathies for the loss of a beloved family pet. I hope Coco will be fine and I hope the people doing this are caught and made aware of the unecessary suffering caused. X

    Liked by 2 people

  4. Joy Johnston September 8, 2018 / 6:45 pm

    How horrible, I’m so sorry to hear about your family dog. A good reminder for everyone, that rat poison can end up having unintended consequences.

    Liked by 2 people

    • Kitt O'Malley September 9, 2018 / 12:43 pm

      As can herbicides. Our veterinarian educated us as to the risks of dogs getting lymphoma from herbicides applied to lawns and parks. The dogs are vulnerable since they deeply inhale the toxins. Dogs often eat rabbit poops, containing the toxins, making matters worse.


  5. mihrank September 8, 2018 / 6:40 pm

    I am deeply sorry to hear about your loss. I know how difficult it could be. May God Bless you as you are in our prayers always.


  6. dyane September 8, 2018 / 6:17 pm

    I echo the three previous comments, dear Kitt., My heart goes out to all of you, especially to your son. I know he had a special bond with Thumper. The 2 photos are precious. We have similar poisoning/rodent issues up here. A few days ago someone posted to our local Facebook group that his dog was poisoned and not doing well at the animal hospital. They thought the substance might be paint balls. (Very popular around here) Anyway, I hope very, very much that Coco will be fine. Sending you my love, my friend.

    Liked by 2 people

    • Kitt O'Malley September 9, 2018 / 12:38 pm

      Wow! I had no idea that paint balls were poisonous.

      We get exterminator companies knocking on our doors all the time about the rats.

      Yes, where there is landscaped hillsides and backyard fruit trees, there are rodents — rats and rabbits.

      We also get raccoons, who love digging up insects and worms from the edges of the lawn, as well as coyotes and mountain lions.

      We’re in their territory. Of course, wouldn’t hurt for the coyotes to eat more rats…


    • Kitt O'Malley September 9, 2018 / 12:41 pm

      Lizards, too, many lizards… without tails… meaning our dogs had the addition of lizard tails to their diet… not good. They also favored rabbit poops.

      Our vet educated us about the rise in lymphoma in healthy young dogs due to herbicides used in parks and on lawns. Dogs sniff the grass, shrubs and trees, deeply inhaling the poisons up close. Then, they eat rabbit poops which contain the poison, as the rabbits eat poisoned grass and plants.


  7. Cassandra Stout September 8, 2018 / 6:03 pm

    My condolences to you and your family for your loss(es). This has been such a hard year for you all.

    Liked by 2 people

  8. Becky Ross Michael September 8, 2018 / 5:43 pm

    I’m so sorry, since I know how very painful it is when a beloved pet dies! Thanks for spreading the word to avoid poisoning rats; everyone might not think about how that could affect other animals.

    Liked by 3 people

  9. trentpmcd September 8, 2018 / 5:18 pm

    I’m very sorry. I hope Coco is fine! And I also hope that if someone is poisoning out there that they get the message the it is not OK.

    Liked by 2 people

    • Kitt O'Malley September 9, 2018 / 12:33 pm

      Me, too. We also wonder if he is depressed (grieving the loss of Thumper, smelling my dad’s old clothes in the house and Thumper’s scent without Thumper).

      Just after Thumper died, he seemed to enjoy the extra attention. After we received and showed him Thumper’s memorial paw print, his symptoms arose.

      Coco’s seen the vet, is taking vitamin K to counteract possibly poisoning, and we will be vigilant. We are giving him extra attention. Antidepressants are always an option.

      Liked by 1 person

What are your thoughts?

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.