About Me & This Blog

Blogging can affect both personal and social change. I started blogging because the thoughts and words in my mind simply had to get out. I hope this blog offers support, educates, and fights stigma against those living with mental illness.

Though I am a suburban wife and mother, unlike most of my neighbors, I live with bipolar disorder. My StoryMy Path to Age ThirtyMania at ThirtyThirty to Motherhood, and Mystic or Mentally Ill? recount my struggle with mental illness, the two decades it took to get a proper diagnosis, and how my journey has ultimately given me a sense of purpose – and at times, a sense of religious calling.

Starting November 2015, when my mother had a stroke resulting in sudden vascular dementia, I blogged increasingly more about how my parents’ dementia affected me. Now that they are stable living in an excellent nearby memory care community, I’ve returned to my passion, mental health advocacy and writing about my experience living with bipolar disorder.

As a perpetual and proud geek, I always liked going to school. My brown-nosing and hard work got me a BA in Legal Studies from UC Berkeley, an MA in Psychology from New College of California (never heard of New College? well, it no longer exists and was never as prestigious as Berkeley), and twice I’ve attended Fuller Theological Seminary and twice I quit.

Though I’m a licensed Marriage and Family Therapist, I haven’t practiced in over 20 years. My varied career path has included working as a legal assistant, psychotherapist, and commercial real estate professional. Obviously, I haven’t stuck to one thing for very long. In fact, if you take a look at my LinkedIn profile, you’ll see that I was a job-hopper, shooting high, rapidly rising, then crashing and burning, over and over – fairly typical of someone with bipolar disorder type II.

My Battle with Mental Illness:

I’m All Over Social Media:

TwitterFacebookGoogle+InstagramLinkedInPinterestSoundCloudTumblrYouTube

If you take a look at my social media presences, you might think that either I’m really committed to making a brand out of my name, or I am a narcissist. Probably both.

99 thoughts on “About Me & This Blog

1. robertmgoldstein June 27, 2015 / 4:54 pm

Hello,

I’ve nominated you for the Once a Victim, Now a Survivor Award.
    To read the details please follow the link below:
    Thank you for the work you do on behalf of people with mental illnesses.

RG

• Kitt O'Malley June 28, 2015 / 11:59 am

Thank you so much, Robert. I’m flattered, but I no longer accept awards. You are truly a survivor. Thank you for the work you do educating others about DID and complex PTSD.

• Kitt O'Malley June 9, 2015 / 8:30 am

Thanks. Just Ol’ Vic challenged me, as well. Usually I do not accept awards or challenges, but I did just post my loves and hates.

• luckyotter June 9, 2015 / 1:49 pm

I don’t accept the awards anymore either –I was getting too many and it’s way too much work, but I could handle this.

• Kitt O'Malley June 9, 2015 / 7:10 pm

It was actually kind of fun, wasn’t it? I didn’t challenge 10 people, though. Just a bit too overwhelmed with my son’s health and school issues right now.

• luckyotter June 9, 2015 / 11:07 pm

I’m sure that’s fine and I understand about being overwhelmed by something like that.

2. revdebmatt May 15, 2015 / 4:21 pm

May I link to your blog on my blog suddenlybipolar.wordpress.com?
    PS – we have huge amounts in common regarding interpreting mystic experiences as words from God when they were also expressions of hypomania or mania. Looking forward to being friends?

• Kitt O'Malley May 15, 2015 / 6:43 pm

I’m flattered. Of course you may link to my blog. Yes, manic and hypomanic symptoms can be religious and mystical in nature. The key is to make sure that the meaning we derive from them is positive and not destructive.

3. writerwannabe763 April 17, 2015 / 8:46 pm

Hi Kitt, I got an email notification that you were following my blog… but the strange thing is that it came to my alternate email (wally.diane.232@gmail.com ) and not my blogging one writerwannabe763@gmail.com…. . and it said your were following wallydiane232.wordpress.com but my blog is hometogo232.wordpress.com I’m just a little confused as to where the incorrect information originated…. Maybe you could help me sort it out? Thanks Diane

• Kitt O'Malley April 18, 2015 / 9:08 am

As I was navigating WordPress’s “new” functions, I was prompted to “find” contacts via my Twitter, Facebook and Google accounts. Thus the duplicate and odd results. Sorry for the confusion and for the email.

• writerwannabe763 April 18, 2015 / 10:08 am

That’s okay except I don’t have a blog except for the hometogo232.wordpress .com and wondered… mystery solved… thanks Diane

4. Julia April 5, 2015 / 2:33 pm

Thank you for following…your blog looks really good and you seem to be a great person:)

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )